Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Chapter 1: Getting to know the students

The part this chapter that jumped out to me in this chapter is the part that told teachers to have students keep journal entries, even in math classes. It said that it would be a useful tool that would allow the teacher to get to know the students more.

I have never thought about using a journal in math class as a use to get to know the student. I could use the weaknesses and strengths that I can learn from the students in the journals to better know how to teach them. If a student believes that there is a better way for me to teach a subject it would be great for them to voice their opinions through the journal. This also gives them a useful and silent way to voice their opinions to me without everyone else knowing.

1 comment:

  1. Great job on following directions! Your summary in the first paragraph is just right and you kept all of your reactions and opinions in the second paragraph.

    3/4 Mechanics of writing:
    1. "The part this chapter that jumped out to me in this chapter"
    2. "as a use to get to know the student" would be better if it was "as a tool to get to know the students"
    3. In the sentence that starts with "If a student believes..." you used "their" when it should be "his/her". OR you could change it to "If students believe" and leave the "their" in there.

    ReplyDelete