Thursday, September 10, 2009

My MEL Experience

The following are eperiences of my own that I had as a child:

  • Student/Teacher Relationships: In the twelth grade I had a physics teacher that opened up to the students, talking about their experiences in life. Up to today I still go back into this teacher for advice on advice every semester before the semester begins. I look up to him as a role model, and this is the type of teacher I wish to be.
  • Hands-On: In the tenth grade in biology we had to continue disect frogs so that we could see all the different parts of the frogs. I had always done diagrams of animals and their parts, but seeing them gave me a whole new feel on what exactly is occuring inside of an animal.
  • Autonomy: In tenth grade in a math class we each had to choose proportion of each of grades goes towards the final grade. This made students choose what they knew they would excel in, a student that excelled in logic would put most of their points towards tests. Yet on the other hand they would put more points towards a notebook if their math skills were not top notch.
  • Helping Students Succeed: While during Odyssey of the Mind in high shool I helped set up and produce spontaneous days where we helped students improve their quick problem solving skills. The students used these to help them succeed in the state competition that we would hold about 2 months after this training period.
  • Connections: While reading Romeo and Juliet the class was asked to watch a modern day version of the play, during this play students were asked to make connections from the orginal Romeo and Juliet to bigger meanings they could have in the real world. Through these connections we were able to figure out more and more on how Shakesphere is still relevant today.

No comments:

Post a Comment